Bash, curl and jq (v1.0.0)
This presentation was originally presented at the SoCal Code4Lib Summer 2016 meet up at Woodbury University in Burbank California, June 20th, 2016.
Bash, curl and jq (v2.0.x)
Introduction to the ORCID API
The presentation will present the basics of working with the Bash, curl, and jq by accessing the ORCID API.
- Access to Bash
- Bash is the default shell on most Linux distribution including Debian and Ubuntu
- Bash is the default shell on Mac OS X when you launch the “Terminal” application
- On Windows 10 Microsoft will be releasing a version of Bash along with a Linux subsystem developed with partner Canonical
- curl needs to be installed
- jq needs to be installed
- You need to have an ORCID ID and account
- You need a network connection since the ORCID API is on the web
- Helps if you are familiar with working on the command line and have used common Unix commands